Thursday, November 14, 2013

That Annoying Person That Talks About Their Dog 24/7

My Cavachon - Gertie Rae - at 10 weeks.

A little over six years ago, I started getting the itch to get a dog. I had researched different breeds, and decided on going to look at a dog. I changed my mind because the breeder wanted to meet me with the dog instead of me going to see the dog and its environment. To me that was a red flag. Around the same time I was thinking of getting a dog, I met CG. We ended up living together, getting married, and getting divorced.

While I was going through the divorce, I started to research dogs again. A few friends kept sharing - via Facebook - dogs that needed their 'forever home.' That led me to start following three different animal shelters and a few breed rescues. I had talked to my friend, Jennifer, about her Cavapoo. That led me to start following a few Cavapoo breeders.

After my divorce, I met and fell in love with JM. I'll share our story another time. Since we would be going to Little Rock for his brother's wedding, I asked if we could stop by one of the breeders and look at dogs. I looked at four dogs - two Cavapoos and two Cavachons. We both fell in love with the puppies. I thought about it for a few days and decided to go back and look at two of the puppies - knowing that I would end up purchasing one of them. 

On Saturday,  Nov. 9, 2013, I ended up taking the sweetest little Cavachon home with me. Her name is Gertie Rae. She was born on Aug. 27, 2013. It has been a very interesting first week.

Oh, did I mention that I haven't had a pet as an adult? I didn't even really have my own pet as a child. Well in kindergarten, I had a kitten - Muffin - that ran away within a few days of me having her. We had a family dog - Mandy - she was a poodle. My mom totally took care of Mandy.

My hope is that someone will be researching Cavachons and come across my blog. I did a lot of research before getting a puppy, so I hope someone can use the information I share.

Best Tips From Friends and the Internet
  • Crate train the puppy
  • Don't give the puppy free rein of the house - Gertie currently only has access to the kitchen, dining room and part of the living room.
  • Bell training for potty training - I think it's going to work
  • Remember it is a puppy and it takes time to train the puppy
  • Put a sheet, blanket or tablecloth over the crate at bedtime. The puppy will learn that means it is time to sleep.
  • Pet and rub the puppy's belly when it's in the crate - get it used to the idea that it will also get love in the crate.
  • Treats are earned

My Tips
  • If purchasing a puppy, inquire about whether or not the vet has examined the dog for inguinal hernia. I took Gertie to the vet the Monday after I got her. Needless to say she has a inguinal hernia. It may correct on its own, but she might need surgery.
  • Put the crate near the door you are going to use for going outside to potty.
  • Forget potty pads - Gertie just wants to chew on them. I think I'll try them when she gets a little older.
  • Go to Costco or Sam's Club and stock up on paper towels and Clorox wipes - you will be cleaning up pee and poo a lot.


More to come ...


No comments: