Sunday, August 26, 2012

Yummy Goodness - White Chocolate Cheesecake

Several years ago, I purchased the cookbook Favorite Brand Name Best-Loved Chocolate Recipes. This book is where my signature cheesecake recipe came from - it's a White Chocolate Cheesecake. Over the years, I've discovered a few tips for making it.

This is my go-to base for a basic cheesecake. I add different toppings, but the base is usually white chocolate. I think you could easily substitute semi-sweet chocolate and create a marble cheesecake.

Cheesecake is easy to make, it just takes a lot of time. I think a lot of people don't like to make it because it's not something you eat right out of the oven. Also, the ingredients for cheesecake cost $15 and up.

Here's the recipe for the base and how to jazz it up and make it a turtle cheesecake.

The crust is kinda like a sugar cookie. I think you could do about any kind of cookie for the bottom. Depending on the size of your springform pan, you might want to double this. I use a springform pan from Pampered Chef - I've used several over the years and this is my favorite.

You can top with your favorite topping - sometimes I just use chocolate shavings.


Heat your oven to 325 degrees.

The Crust
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter - salted or unsalted is fine
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla (to your taste)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (optional)

Cream together all the ingredients - a hand mixer works great to get it fluffy. Spray the bottom and sides of your springform pan with a non-stick spray. Press the dough onto the bottom of the springform pan; prick with a fork.

Bake 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cool in pan.

The Base / Filling
  • 4 blocks (8 oz size) of softened cream cheese (I use Philadelphia brand)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla (to your taste)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (optional)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 12 oz white chocolate (I use Bakers), melted and slightly cooled

I use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, but you can also use a hand mixer. Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla  until well blended (about 2 minutes on 'stir'). Add the eggs - one at a time - until blended. Do not over mix.

Fold in the melted / cooled chocolate. They say if the chocolate is too hot it can start cooking the eggs. I have no clue if this is a myth.

Poor the mixture over the slightly cooled crust. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. The center will be almost set and the edges will start to pull away. 

Place on a cooling rake - run a knife around the edges. Let cool for about 15 minutes. Then slowly release the form of the pan. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. 

Good to Know
Cheesecake splits when it pulls away to quickly from the sides of the pan. I've made a lot of cheesecake and can only remember one not cracking. No need to fret because the topping covers it all up.

I find that cheesecake cuts better after setting out for about 10 minutes.

This cheesecake it rich and heavy. I've never substituted reduced or fat free cream cheese or a sugar substitute, so I'm not sure how it would turn out using substitutes.

Make it a Turtle
I use this ganache recipe from Taste of Home.

1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (I use Hershey's)
1/4 Heavy Whipping Cream

Bring the heavy cream just to a boil; pour over the chips and stir until smooth. Let the chocolate cool slightly and poor over the cheesecake - you can spread or drizzle it.

Sprinkle chopped pecans (to taste) on top of the ganache then drizzle caramel sauce (I use Hershey's or Smuckers) on top.








No comments: