Sunday, March 25, 2012

Making Sandra Lee Proud

The ingredients.
For a long time one of my favorite tv chefs has been Sandra Lee from the Food Network's Semi-Homemade. If you're not familiar with her, she shows you how to make great food that's not made from scratch ... it's semi-homemade.

When I came across the recipe for S'mores Cookies on The Girl Who Ate Everything, I knew I wanted to try making them. Christy's recipe is great, but I wanted to make it even more spectacular by making it faster and easier.

All those hours watching Sandra Lee paid off because I immediately thought about using Nestle break and bake cookie dough.

Getting together with the girls for cards, was the perfect opportunity to try out this recipe. I tried making the s'mores cookies two different ways.

S'mores Cookies - Version 1

For my first attempt, I spaced the graham crackers out on the cookie sheet. I also used a full square of the cookie dough. I baked them at 325 for approximately 15 minutes. I put the Hershey's on after the cookies came out of the oven. The end result was more of a cookie look.

Version 1 - looking good.

Version 1 after about 15 minutes at 325.

S'mores Cookies - Version 2

For the second round, I placed the graham crackers next to one another. I also used half of a cookie dough square for each graham cracker. This time I also, cut the marshmallows in half. They seemed to stay in place better and not roll around. After they baked, I cut as needed. For the most part, the cookie dough fit the cracker.

Version 2 - looking good

Version 2 - after about 15 minutes at 325

My preference is Version 2. Next time, I'll use more marshmallows. I might also try them with chocolate graham crackers and peanut butter cookie dough.

The great thing about making these was that the clean up was super easy. I dirtied a knife and spatula. They were a huge hit at cards.

No comments: