Saturday, March 3, 2012

Macarons Sans Coconut

It wasn't until I met the amazing pastry chef and artist, Tammy Varney, that I learned not all macarons have coconut. Tammy makes amazing French Macarons for her cafe - Meridienne Dessert Salon & Cafe in downtown Rogers. She also designed and made our amazing wedding cake.

'American' Macaroons have coconut and a second 'o'; however, French macarons do not have coconut and only have one 'o.'

Through Pinterest, I found David Lebovitz. He's another amazing pastry chef / baker. On his site he gives a lot of how to about making French Macarons, and he has a recipe for French Chocolate Macarons. I ordered the ingredients from King Arthur Flour that I couldn't find at the local Walmart.
My first try! Pre filling.

I followed his recipe and even weighed the ingredients instead of going by volume. They tasted amazing; however, I need to work on my piping technique. Also, I think I added the sugar to the egg whites too soon.

They had the 'footing' on the bottom, but only three came out with a smooth top. I'll try them again and again until I master the shape - which I think is all about the way it's piped.

Personal note: I do not like coconut.


No comments: