Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Walk at Home ... Kicked My Ass

Due to the lack of popularity in my blog, I'm going to go ahead and write about a few changes I'm making in my life. If you know me very well then you know that my weight has been an issue most of my life and that my excess weight is the result of bad eating habits and lack of exercise.

Over the last few months a few things have happened that have made me want to focus on changing my bad eating habits and lack of exercise. Perhaps those things will be covered in a future post. Since I've have a 25 plus year history with weight issues, I know what works for me and what doesn't. 

My latest exercise adventure.
Exercise is something I don't mind, it's just something I haven't made a priority. Food is something I love and controlling it is something that I need to make a priority.

I'm a huge fan of QVC. You can't be a QVC fan and not know about Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home program. I decided why not give it a shot. I bought one of her DVDs at my local Walmart. 

Last night, I walked 30 minutes on the treadmill - we have a Gold's Gym Trainer 410 from Walmart - and then decided to give Mile 1 a try. You should know that I walked at 0 incline and averaged 2 to 2.3 mile per hour in speed.

That's right, no warm up ... take me straight to Mile 1. The description for Mile 1 is A fresh Walk at Home - 15 minute mile! It's a 4 mile per hour pace and a new cast of walkers makes it fun and inspirational. I didn't make it five minutes! 

I really don't know what I was expecting, but I do know I wasn't expecting it to kick my ass. I ended up watching the rest of Mile 1 in addition to Mile 2 and Mile 3. 

Today, I decided it was best to start with the warm up. I found myself swearing at the television and calling Leslie names. And, I called myself a few while I was at it. Needless, to say I'm so out of shape the warm up wore me out. 

The leg lifts about killed me. My dear husband pointed out that the ladies in the video have skinny legs. Don't get me wrong, he was nice about it and helped put thing in perspective.

I do think the program is a good one for anyone that wants to give exercise a try without going to the gym or buying equipment. You need enough space to take two steps forward and two steps back and to the side. The thing to remember is that you didn't get out of shape over night, so give yourself a chance to get back in the groove.

Tomorrow is a new day, and I'm determined to get back to my old self that enjoyed exercising ... so, I'll be giving Leslie another shot. My thought is that by next week, I will work my way up to Mile 1.

Stay tuned ...


4 comments:

Dayna said...

You are on my Google reader. The first time you posted it kind of confused me. I thought I might know this person...duh! Of course I do! I like reading your posts and look forward to your progress. You've already walked farther than I have. Keep it up!

Corey said...

Good luck! You're in my reader too. I'm not psychic.

StephSue66 said...

Keep your post coming a few more and you might get this heifer motivated too :0)

MamaToTwoBoys said...

Good luck to ya! I'm rootin' for you. It is a constant struggle. I just signed back up for ww on Monday and have yet to work exercise into my daily routine. Will get there.