Monday, January 2, 2012

Love of Post-it Notes

The ribbon might be a little long, but it
gives it a bit of sass.
Most of my close friends and former co-workers know that I love Post-it notes. I got super excited, when I saw the Post-It Present pinned on Pinterest. The pin came from the blog Paper Wings.

It didn't take long for me to head to Hobby Lobby for scrapbook paper. Walmart is a weekly trip for me, so I bought a few of the 5 x 7 acrylic frames for less than $1 each. I already have a decent inventory of fabric ribbon. I also bought a few packs diamond embellishments at Hobby Lobby.

Quick note about Hobby Lobby: unless you are on a time crunch, you should never pay full price at Hobby Lobby. Their weekly sale rotates every four two six weeks, so with a little planning you can get all your crafting supplies on sale. The sale runs Monday (close on Sunday) to Saturday, and the latest sale flyer is available online.

This Post-it stand has to be one of the easiest and quickest things you can make. I think it would be a great gift for just about anyone. The picture is of the first one I made - I made it in less than five minutes. I'm going to give it to the receptionist at my husband's office - I think she'll be a good user to see how it holds up. It seems like it would be functional, but I'll let her put it to the test before making more.

The Stella & Dot version.
I think the turquoise Post-its would look great,
I used what was available in my office.
Here's how simple the Post-it stand is to make:

  • Cut a piece of scrapbook paper to the size of the acrylic frame. I used a 5 x 7 frame because I like the proportions with the pad of Post-its.
  • Add a band of paper (if you like that look) about 1/4 of the way down the main piece of paper.
  • Use ribbon and embellishments as desired.
  • Peel / remove the protect cover from the frame. Stick the pad of Post-its to the frame. I did not use glue.

Here's how to make it using Stella & Dot jewelry boxes.

  • Cut the back of a large jewelry box down to 5 x 7. 
  • The medium size jewelry box works well for cutting the bands.
  • Use ribbon and embellishment if desired.
  • Peel / remove the protective wrap from the frame then stick the Post-it to the frame.

No comments: