Saturday, June 30, 2012

Food Therapy; Food Personality

About five years ago, I took diet pills (with doctor supervision) for weight loss - I refer to it as food therapy. My doctor had me to keep a food journal that included:
  1. What I ate
  2. What time I ate
  3. Level of hungriness
  4. Emotion at the time I ate
The food journal was the first time for me to identify that all emotions trigger me to eat. Boredom, happiness, sadness etc. all trigger me to want food. 

Today with Kathie Lee & Hoda is typically on while I'm working. They recently ran a segment called What's Your Eating Personality (totally worth clicking on the link and watching for 2 minutes) with Madelyn Fernstorm. The segment hit home with me in a big way. It made me think a lot about food therapy and the WW Project.

My food personality is:
  • 3 meals a day This is without a doubt me. I find that I eat because I think it's time to .. not because I'm hungry. Even though I consider myself and emotional eater, I tend to do it more at meals.
  • Carb Craver This label might be one that is more because of convenience. I love eggs, but it's quicker for me to grab a granola bar.
  • Volume Eater This was an easy one for me because the night before the segment aired I made myself a root beer float. Volume is without a doubt a thing for me. I would rather have more of something with less calories than a little of something super delicious. If points weren't an issue I would always buy Blue Bell ice cream. It is the best ice cream! Now, I buy low fat frozen yogurt from the Schwann's guy. I can eat more of it, and it doesn't taste bad. 
  • Part sweet tooth; part fat tooth I think because I love ice cream so much, I'm a fat tooth. I also love Milky Way candy bars (haven't had one in more than 2 months). 

I feel that if I take what I take the knowledge I have from food therapy, food personality and Weight Watchers that I will be more successful with the WW Project.

No comments: